The Royal

The Student News Site of Hempfield Area High School

The Royal

The Royal

The Final Moments
The Final Moments
May 15, 2024
The Last Ride
The Last Ride
May 8, 2024

Slowpitch out of the Shadows

Most students know about the hype of the Hempfield Area softball teams during spring, but last year, Hempfield officially included girls slowpitch softball as a fall sport. There has been a team previous years, but to finally be recognized and included through the high school is big.

Girls varsity slowpitch softball started their official second season off against North Allegany on September 3. Playing against a championship team first, Hempfield fought their hardest with returning captain Ashlynn Pillatzki cheering on the sidelines. With Hempfield only needing two runs, the score was 7-5, and the extreme heat got the best of our girls the second game with a final score of 14-3.

Hempfield was not defeated in spirit though and is ready to have a great season. Julie Heatley, a starting sophomore, said ¨We tried our best, and next game we definitely got this!¨ Win or lose, the girls definitely improved and will bring their bats to the next game. It’s time to shed light and bring slowpitch from the shadows of spring ball as the girls continue to come together as a team this season.