The Royal

The Student News Site of Hempfield Area High School

The Royal

The Royal

The Final Moments
The Final Moments
May 15, 2024
The Last Ride
The Last Ride
May 8, 2024

4 Questions With Mr. Howell

Retiring Teacher Reflects on Career and Plans for the Future

Q: What are your plans after retiring?

Mr. Howell: “I will still want to do something part time. I also plan to continue to referee high school volleyball and do more collegiate games as well since I will have the time to travel to do them. I would also like to do more world traveling.  I have a number of different countries I would really like to visit. I have already been to Amsterdam, Japan, London, Germany but Australia and New Zealand are on the top of my bucket list.”

Q: What are your favorite memories from working?

Mr. Howell: “My colleges, some of my closest colleges here are my best friends. And other additional memories would be starting the boys volleyball program here…..winning 5 volleyball section championships and making the WPIAL playoffs 23 of my 28 coaching years and the state playoffs 5 times.”

Q: What will you miss the most?

Mr. Howell: “I love teaching, I will miss that part of it the most. I will also miss the students here at hempfield.”

Q: What advice would you give to future students?

Mr. Howell: “Don’t ever let anyone tell you you can’t do something, there are no boundaries on what you can do.”