Almost Extinct
Almost Extinct

Angel in Disguise: Miss Amanda Montell

High School teacher Amanda Montell stands outside her Autism Support classroom (Donovan-Shope Photo)

¨She is one of the most special people I know in this high school. She always gives 100% and is always happy to do so.¨ With these words, Senior, Alex Martorella  describes one of our most compassionate, caring, and dedicated teachers at Hempfield Area High School, Miss Amanda Montell.

Miss Montell is an Autism Support Teacher for grades 9-12 in our building. She works with students who have intellectual disabilities and autism. Her inspiration to teach special education was sparked by a history of neurodivergence in her family. She attended Westmoreland County Community College and then Slippery Rock University, dual majoring in Elementary and Special Education. 

Throughout her career at the High School, Montell’s main objective has always been to create inclusivity between special education and academic students. According to Montell, her greatest challenge is finding that necessary balance in life. “The most difficult thing for me, [about] being a teacher, is finding a work-life balance due to taking on so many different roles and wanting to find as many opportunities as possible for my students.” 

In addition to her teaching, Montell coaches for the United Track & Field Team. She recently even decided to start a special education Bocce team for her  students. Montell expressed pride in Rain Rally which helps with inclusion of her students and supports Special Olympics PA. The involvement and time she dedicates to these students showcases her warmhearted and selfless personality. Mrs. Montell, together with Mrs. Murray, Mrs. Huth, and Mr. Helfrich, also took on a new endeavor this year: the Perfectly Imperfect Boutique. This store will help create job opportunities for her students and has been wildly successful thus far.

“Miss Montell’s  dedication to our high school is inspiring,” said Murray. “She is always looking for new ways to get her students involved with different groups in the high school to help the entire student body to grow from each other.  Her creative ideas and making things happen for her students and those around her are pretty remarkable.”

Sometimes the most impactful person in the workplace is hidden right in front of us.  It can easily be said that Miss Montell defines the meaning of compassion through her relentless efforts to provide the best educational experience for special education students. To Mrs. Murray, Miss Montell is a true “angel in disguise” and a model for her colleagues, and her students alike. “I have learned so much from her; it is amazing. She is calm, consistent, and a true model for being proud, prompt, prepared and polite.”