Pros/Cons

End of the Year School Trip
Pros/Cons

Pros:  Several years ago, the students of Hempfield would take an “End of the Year” School Trip to Kennywood. This was a nice way to end the year, and gave students something to look forward to as they closed off the school year. Having a school trip can be an amazing experience for students. It’s a chance to explore new places, bond with classmates, and create lifelong memories. Plus, it’s a break from the usual routine and a way to celebrate the end of the school year. Not only is a school trip an adventure, but it also provides educational opportunities. You can visit historical sites, museums, or even take part in outdoor activities like hiking or nature walks. It’s a chance to learn outside the classroom and experience firsthand what you’ve been studying. And let’s not forget about the friendships that can be strengthened during a school trip. You get to spend quality time with your classmates, getting to know each other better and creating stronger bonds. It’s a time for inside jokes, shared experiences, and deepening those connections that will last beyond high school. Overall, a school trip is a fantastic way to reward students for their hard work throughout the year and give them a memorable send-off. It’s an opportunity for adventure, learning, and building lifelong friendships. 

Cons: While seeing classmates at an amusement park on a school day would be very entertaining, there are plenty of other social activities for students at the end of the year. We might not have a school “Kennywood day” anymore, but we still have our School Picnic at Kennywood. Students can meet up and socialize with their friends and even use the day to signify the end of the school year. Another end of the year trip that students, specifically seniors, participate in is “sweek” which stands for “senior-week.” Sweek is a trip/vacation that seniors plan amongst their friend group. Many students rent beach houses, plan a road trip, go camping, site-see and enjoy the week away from home. Instead of having one large school field trip, our school now focuses on field trips specific to clubs, groups, and societies. For example, Spanish Club and the Language National Honor Societies had the opportunity to eat at Hispanic restaurants, explore Pittsburgh’s Market Square, and Visit the Roberto Clemente Museum. The English National Honor Society went to several small businesses in the Greensburg community to learn about running a business. Even the band flew down to Florida’s Disney World to perform in Magic Kingdom. These field trips that cater to specific groups allow for students with common interests to hang out with each other and to do something fun before the end of the school year. Overall, there are many opportunities and activities for students to “say goodbye” to their classmates. The end of the year may come suddenly, but with these events, everyone has something to look forward to, and the end isn’t so bittersweet.