The Royal

The Student News Site of Hempfield Area High School

The Royal

The Royal

The Final Moments
The Final Moments
May 15, 2024
The Last Ride
The Last Ride
May 8, 2024

Moving Forward: New Architect For a New Building

State College Area High School renovation from Crabtree, Rohrbaugh and Associates of Mechanicsburg
Go here for a slideshow of more pictures!
https://www.scasd.org/Domain/2645
State College Area High School renovation from Crabtree, Rohrbaugh and Associates of Mechanicsburg Go here for a slideshow of more pictures! https://www.scasd.org/Domain/2645

The news that all of Hempfield has been eagerly waiting for is finally here. On Monday, April 22, 2024, the school board hired a new architect, allowing for the renovation project to be picked back up and soon underway.

In February, the original Bellevue-based Core Architects resigned from the renovation project, and are now replaced with the architect business Crabtree, Rohrbaugh and Associates of Mechanicsburg.

Tom Crabtree and Doug Rohrbaugh founded Crabtree, Rohrbaugh and Associates of Mechanicsburg in 1984, with their whole philosophy being a “Client-Oriented” approach to architectural design. Hempfield High School will not be the first school project that the business has undertaken. In fact, they have designed school renovation projects in three states – Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia.

Given the substantial amount of time that it took to obtain new architects, it might be obvious that this hire was not done lightly. Before Crabtree, Rohrbaugh and Associates of Mechanicsburg got the job, seven firms applied for the project, and three finalists were interviewed.

Vince DeAugustine, chair of the district’s buildings and grounds committee, is very eager about the new developments with the project. “I think they were very, very good, and we’re excited to have them on the team. Obviously, we had a setback, but we’re moving forward with a stronger team. We have McKinley (Architecture and Engineering) as our owner’s rep, so that there’s no issues moving forward. They’re on our team, Crabtree’s on our team, and our team here is all moving in one direction.”

Naturally, students here at the High School have their own opinions on the new hire and what that means for the renovation, as well. Junior Quentin Pettinato vocalized how I believe most of the junior body feels. “Although it’s disappointing I won’t be able to see it [the new building] until after I graduate, it’s really nice to see the school getting a new architect, so that the job can get done.”

We can all be glad that the project is picked back up, and that the future for the school looks like it’s going to be better than ever.