The Final Moments
The Final Moments

But 1st, Activity Period

For the past two years, students at Hempfield have been creating their schedules with a system called “arena scheduling.” Near the end of the school year, students were asked to choose several classes in which they were interested to build their upcoming schedules. Everyone was able to choose their lunch periods, desired study halls, and classes with their friends. However, at the end of the 2022-2023 school year, the district decided that it would be best to go back to having the school counselors compose the student schedules. School Counselor, Mr. Swan stated, “We started ‘arena scheduling’ because it was a new idea from the district. We tested it out and decided that the old ways of scheduling just worked better.” The opinions of students are varied; some were nervous about not having any classes with their friends, but others did not mind how their schedule turned out. When asked her opinion of her schedule, junior Anna Rosendale stated, “I still have my friends in most of my classes.” With a differing opinion, junior Riley Engler said, “My schedule this year is not what I had expected. I have lunch two different periods, and no friends in my classes. I’m sure I’ll make some as the year goes on!” 

The plus side is classes now also have a more even amount of students, whereas in the past two years, some classes would have 8 students and others would have more than 30. 

Another change that was made to the student schedule is Activity Period. Activity Period/ Homeroom used to occur near the middle of the day during 4th period. After a survey conducted by the faculty members, students now attend Activity Period first thing in the morning. “When we had an activity period during 4th period, it was hard to schedule lab periods around this time. Students couldn’t have any double periods with labs during third or fifth period, so scheduling was tough,” said Mr. Swan. Period 1 Activity Period has been very helpful for the teachers taking attendance as well. When the 7:25 A.M. bell rings signaling the beginning of the day, the doors to the classrooms are locked, and any student not in his/her homeroom is marked tardy for the day. 

The final difference in the schedule was the elimination of 8th period lunch. With the freshmen students now attending Harrold, there are less students in the building. There was no longer a need for four lunch periods when all of the students could fit into just three lunch periods. This means that all students have an actual class period instead of just a lunch period during this time. 

The alterations to the schedule have ultimately prepared Hempfield Area students and staff for success throughout the school year. Though the new schedule is very different from the past, the changes made are necessary and overall positive.