The Final Moments
The Final Moments

Dress To Impress

Dr.+Palmer+holding+the+handbook+
Dr. Palmer holding the handbook

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”-Ralph Waldo Emerson. One way we can all do this is through our own personal styles and clothing we choose as we want to feel comfortable being ourselves.

Uniqueness and individuality are things that should be celebrated and expressed. But as students, were we truly able to do that with the strict and outdated dress code that hasn’t been changed since the 1980’s until now? The answer that most agree upon is no. 

Since most of us can remember, not only has the style changed immensely but so has society. In the words of Mrs. Mash, “The old dress code felt outdated, and with time, the clothing industries are changing and making it more difficult for students to find something that fit the old dress code, while also allowing the student to find something that they liked and felt comfortable in.”

She also believes that, “The new dress code allows for more individuality and an understanding that people have their own styles.” 

For a long time now the dress code has been such a controversial subject and one of the last policies to be modified here at Hempfield Area. The new dress code states, “The goal of these guidelines is to ensure that all students are treated equitably regardless of gender/gender identification, sexual orientation, ethnicity, body type/size, religion, and personal style.” A group of students, teachers, parents, and school administrators came together this summer and agreed upon this statement. The most prevalent word in these regulations is equitably. According to voicesofyouth.org, “Human rights is the belief that everybody should be treated equally and with dignity no matter what their circumstances.” 

Just because we should be treated equally in life, many times not just regarding this topic that is not the case. But I can proudly say that as a member of the Hempfield Area school district, we are opening our eyes and seeing the problems around us.

Change is good, change is exciting, change opens up new possibilities and ideas that once ceased to exist. In the words of Mr. Clougherty, “This new dress code is a recognition of where we are as a society. Though this may seem like a small move forward when putting life’s problems into perspective, it is a huge step forward in everyday life for a student.”

So let’s dress to impress, to be ourselves, to bring about change, and to embrace our differences.