Almost Extinct
Almost Extinct

A Seussical Success

Mrs. Ashley Testa

On March 12, Alpha Omega, National English Honors Society, went to Fort Allen Elementary to participate in student teacher, Katherine Leonard’s literacy initiative. Katherine Leonard said, “It’s really great to see how much the first graders look up to and enjoy their older peers.”

High School students met with preschool through 1st-grade classrooms to read together and complete a craft. Students created hats that looked like the Cat in the Hat, and the high school students read several books, like Green Eggs and Ham and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish. Mrs. Testa, Alpha Omega Sponsor, enjoys the opportunity to spread a love for reading across the district. “This is our second year working in elementary classrooms. Watching a love for reading blossom in a new reader is inspiring.  Moreover, watching the high school students communicate, teach, and affect the lives of others is the best part.” High school students will continue to return to Mrs. Fox’s first-grade classroom as Book Buddies to encourage reading and literacy practices. The day was a Seussical Success.

Alpha Omega is thankful that Miss. Leonard and Mrs. Fox included them in their quest to increase literacy within their building. In the words of Dr. Seuss, “The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”