The Royal

The Student News Site of Hempfield Area High School

The Royal

The Royal

The Last Ride
The Last Ride
May 8, 2024
Almost Extinct
Almost Extinct
May 8, 2024

Bucco Fever Returns

Every Spring, Pirates fans get a sense of hope around themselves. Most years the Pirates will fall short of their playoff hopes by July. Unlike most years the Pirates, have good core players, and youth to their team. 

The Pittsburgh Pirates are back in their Spring Training Home in Bradenton Florida and are looking to make an impact this year.  The Pirates finished with a record of 76-86 last year and want to improve their record this year as they take the big step to contend for a championship. After starting the season with the best record in the National League through April and finishing the final two months with a winning record, the Pittsburgh Pirates will enter spring training with raised expectations. 

They drafted the number 1 overall pick Paul Skeins a 6’6 pitcher from LSU who will add to the pirates pitching rotation. The Pirates also are adding  Aroldis Chapman for 10.5 million dollars for 1 year and signing Mitch Keller to a 5 year extension for 77 million dollars. 

The Pirates spring training record is 11-13, and they are on a three game win streak. With a batting average of .500 and an on-base percentage of .539, Henry Davis is proving his offensive potential early in spring training. Pirates other prospect, Jared Triolo is a 26-year-old infielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates and is making a strong case for himself as the frontrunner for the standing second base position. Lastly so far in Spring Training, Cruz is batting .355 with seven homers, 14 RBI and a 1.476 OPS in just 31 at-bats.

The Pirates will be taking on the Baltimore Orioles April 5th in their Season Opener. For now the Pirates will continue to play Bradenton Florida, and look to prep for their season. Senior Anthony DeMarco quotes “ I think they are a championship team with a chance at a potential dynasty”.