The Final Moments
The Final Moments

Is the “Savings” Worth it?

Is the Savings Worth it?

On Sunday March 10th. all of the clocks were turned forward an hour. This brings up the question we ask every spring and fall: should we still be following this tradition?

Daylight saving was created to allow people to use more natural daylight in the spring and summer time. The idea was first added in 1918 to help conserve resources and has been deemed optional since 1966.  The theory was also used to help reduce the need for artificial lighting and heating when people were awake and active. In addition to these things, changing the clocks usually allows people to be more active and go outdoors. This helps for all sorts of activities, from sports to barbecues. Still, some states don’t change their clocks at all like Arizona, Hawaii, and other U.S Territories.

Although changing the clock can be beneficial, it can also have a negative impact on people’s sleep schedule. It was predicted this year that 300 million people in the United States will suffer from the change of clocks. The consequences of insufficient sleep include decreases in cardiovascular health, increases in heart attacks, and poorer overall mental health.

People, including members of government, will continue to debate if we should or shouldn’t move our clocks, but for now we Spring forward.