The Final Moments
The Final Moments

Childhood Best friends To College Baseball Rivalry

Fresh off a WPIAL playoff appearance, star senior teammates Carson Shuglie and Ethan Minerva are striving for that WPIAL Championship Game win this spring. These two have been playing together for 10 years now and have been able to become best friends throughout years.  They make each other stronger, better and faster within every team practice or lift. They are leaders of a senior heavy team this year but have never shied away from the spotlight.

Starting with Carson Shuglie (most known as Doug) has been a varsity player for 4 years. He was First Team All Section last year as a DH and one of the best pure hitters in the entire WPIAL. Shuglie was one of the top leaders in home runs all while hitting .395 with 25 RBI’s. Shuglie spends his free time playing travel ball for Team All American located out of Pittsburgh. He has recently committed to further his education and athletics at Seton Hill University where he plans to study Pre-Law.

This has recently been a pipeline for some of the best Hempfield players as Shuglie will team up with Hempfield Area graduates Christian Zilli and Joe Fedor once again. Seton Hill is currently ranked #6 in all of Division 2 baseball.

Minerva, on the other hand, is entering his 3rd varsity season as a Spartan, ready to take a big role for the team commanding the outfield. Minerva is what is known as a “tough out;” he always finds a way to get on base. He is one of the best leaders in the dugout as many underclassmen have so much positive to say about his personality far past the game. He spent his summer playing in some of the biggest tournaments with Team Ohio Supreme, allowing him to be seen by colleges all over the country.

Minerva recently committed to California University of Pennsylvania to further his academic and athletic career. He plans on majoring in exercise science with a minor in nutrition. He will team up with former Hempfield Area standout Jake Kramer who is entering his 2nd year at the program.

Baseball runs deep in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference – (PSAC) as many of the teams show global success. Hempfield Area often produces anywhere between 1-5 college baseball players every single year. When asked about going from childhood best friends to matching up against each other in college, Shuglie and Minerva responded in similar ways saying,  “I think us competing against each other might be a little different but I think we are both excited too since we are both competitive, and we both love to win.”