The Royal

The Student News Site of Hempfield Area High School

The Royal

The Royal

The Final Moments
The Final Moments
May 15, 2024
The Last Ride
The Last Ride
May 8, 2024

Strength to Hold On; Courage to Let Go

Hickman and Orzcek compete in WPIAL Gymnastics

Some say gymnastics is the most difficult sport in the world. It employs every muscle and ligament in the body, and it requires hours dedicated to strength, training, and precision of skill.

The 2024 WPIAL/UPMC Sports Medicine Gymnastics Championships will be held at Moon High School during February 9-10. The team championships will take place on Friday, February 9 and the individual championships are on Saturday, February 10.

For the team competition, schools qualify by finishing inside the top three of their respective sections following the regular season. Individual competition is made up of three different divisions – Advanced, Intermediate I, and Intermediate II. Athletes participate in categories including Vault, Uneven Bars, Balance Beam, and Floor Exercise.

Two Hempfield Area students represented our district in the WPIAL this gymnastic season. Coached by the gym owner of Ultimate Gymnastics, Renee Ruggeri, athletes Ava Hickman, freshman, and Isabel Orzcek, sophomore, worked tirelessly to excel in their sport.

Practicing 15+ hours a week on top of keeping up with their school work, these student athletes demonstrate what it means to work to your fullest potential.

Both qualified for WPIAL finals on February 10th at Moon High School. Hickman qualified for the Championship at Moon on February 10th in the Silver division for the All Around which means she will compete in all four gymnastic events.

Orzcek qualified for the Judges Cup in the Bronze Division All Around which means she will compete at the Judges Invitational next Thursday evening.

As Simone Biles said, these girls have “the strength to hold on and the courage to let go!”