The Final Moments
The Final Moments

The Face Behind the Name

Jibran Idrees

Take a moment and think back to chilly Friday nights in the fall. Envision yourself standing, packed into the overflowing student section of the Spartan Stadium. Picture the bright lights illuminating the entire field; the band and color guard have just finished their performance, and the students are getting antsy for their most anticipated moment of halftime. Excitement bubbles as the drumline makes their way in front of the students, ready to finish off with a bang. Cheers, screams, dancing, and encouragement erupts from the student section as the drumline plays in front of the stands. From this routine, a certain chant becomes a beloved weekly tradition that celebrates senior Jibran Idrees. 

Driven by dedication, Idrees has been a part of the infamous Hempfield drumline for four years. His own fascination with the band and experiencing it from a spectator’s point of view, is what inspired him to become an integral part of it himself. The originality of the drums and their capability really propelled him forward. He explains, “Seeing it from the viewers side and seeing the intricate songs made by drumline and then played by memory,” is something that he found so captivating that he knew he had to be a part of it. 

I have learned that only discipline will get you anywhere in life, and motivation will only follow after you’re disciplined.

— Jibran Idrees

Idrees agrees that Hempfield’s drumline performance at halftime during games and pep rallies brings a whole new magic to the atmosphere. Even more so when his nickname, Jibby, started echoing out from the student section as he played solos. To be the center of attention and the focus of everyone’s eyes in that moment for him, “was a huge rush of adrenaline and created an entirely different atmosphere to the halftime show. It was surprising in the way that our student section leaders were able to band the entire student section to chant.” Unsurmountable teamwork made this football season truly unforgettable for Idrees. 

Outside of the time he spends with the Hempfield Area band, Idrees stays active in school sports. He has found his way onto the lacrosse and swim teams. While his spirit is undeniable, he also spends time on his own, enjoying fishing, snowboarding, going to the gym, and partaking in other seasonal hobbies. It is clear to see that Idrees follows a type of lifestyle that calls for control, dedication, and determination in order to succeed. He shares his secret to his personal success, “I have learned that only discipline will get you anywhere in life, and motivation will only follow after you’re disciplined.”

Each moment he has spent perfecting his sound, his skill, and his talent has really come to pay off, especially evident in his attention received over the last few months at the football games. One of his favorite, most unforgettable moments in his time at Hempfield comes from one of these games. During the cancer awareness game on September 16, Idrees made the bold move of blindfolding himself during his solo. He unexpectedly pulled his bandana over his eyes while his peers cued him in, and he played it perfectly. “It was freezing cold,” he comments, “but it was worth every hour I spent practicing the piece.” 

Idrees is a prime example of what you can do if you really want to take on a task. His ability to not only master his solos and be a part of his team, but to also contribute to so many other activities within the school absolutely proves that all it really takes in the end, is a bit of drive and effort.