The Royal

The Student News Site of Hempfield Area High School

The Royal

The Royal

The Final Moments
The Final Moments
May 15, 2024
The Last Ride
The Last Ride
May 8, 2024

A Skillful Season

Halloween season is full of creativity from the costumes to the creations that individuals design. Throughout the season, Hempfield Area students showcased their artistic abilities while learning important skills.

Upstairs in the H-wing, the Graphics 2 classes participated in Pumpkin Carving 101. Mr. Testa says, “I love teaching this lesson. Every year I get a couple of students who have never carved a pumpkin.”

The students in Testa’s classes got to design their own templates in Photoshop, and then they learned to carve and shave.

Mr. Testa gives a special shout out to Firestone Farms for giving him a great deal on the pumpkins that he purchases yearly for his students.

Graphics 2 students display their carved creations. (Mr. John Testa)

Downstairs and across the street, students celebrated the Day of the Dead in Spanish classrooms. This is a holiday that is widely celebrated by people of Mexican heritage to honor friends and family who have passed away.

The Spanish Honor Society decorated sugar skull cookies in honor of the Day of the Dead or Día de los Muertos.

Additionally, students in Harrold’s Spanish classes participated in a week of activities learning about Day of the Dead and even had the chance to decorate calaveras and create traditional Altares like they do in Mexico. In this way, students learned about the culture of the language they study daily.

From preschool parades to the Spooktacular doors to these awesome learning experiences, teachers did their best to integrate the holiday themes into their teaching, making classes much more fun.