The Final Moments
The Final Moments

A Whole New World

It’s September now, and we all know what that means – it’s back to school season! Everyone from kindergarteners to college seniors are leaping back to the classroom, and for some, the transition to the next grade is just routine. For juniors, the change is dramatic. From classes to “upperclassmen opportunities” to considering college, junior year seems like a whole new world.

From sophomore to junior year, school work has objectively multiplied and increased in difficulty. Junior AP student Carly Petrill says, “I think it’s normal for school work to increase as we get older, and I think that it’s important to do all of it, but I don’t like how much of it there is now, especially homework.”

Another huge change that springs up junior year is the ability to get a license and drive to school. Junior Natalie Overly says, “It gives you more freedom than riding the bus. You can get up and leave later. It’s so nice.”

The Homecoming and Prom dances are also open to junior students. It is junior Evey O’Leary’s first time going to homecoming this fall, and she is excited to “hang out with [her] friends and to have fun.”

Perhaps the most simultaneously exciting, nerve wracking, and stressful aspect of junior year is the sudden need to start thinking about college and life after high school. Junior Sarah Planic says, “College is a new beginning that I’m so excited for. I’m doing my best to do everything I can do to prepare this year so that I don’t miss out on anything senior year.”

Overall, junior year marks the goodbye to the underclassmen experience and the hello to upperclassmen life. It appears to be a welcomed transition for everyone.