The Final Moments
The Final Moments

Making Cookies While Making Memories

It’s that time of year when the smell of delicious Christmas cookies is filling every home. Families and friends are gathering to indulge in this tradition and enjoy quality time with loved ones. Many students and teachers within the building partake in this tradition and shared their experiences to give a little insight into this classic holiday tradition.

For Mrs. Owens baking holiday cookies is about gathering with her family members to

make memories that will last a lifetime. “I’m the baker of the family, and I typically make the same cookies, because they are all family favorites.” Mrs. Owens receives most of her help from

her middle son, Peter. She plays music as she bakes and typically waits until the very last minute. Although her cookie process is rushed, they have never failed to satisfy her entire family. 

For Senior Gianna Demarco, this tradition provides an opportunity for mother-daughter bonding time. “My favorite part of making Christmas cookies is that it gives me time to become even closer with my mom.” DeMarco portrays the true meaning of the holiday season, by using this time to get closer to her family. Demarco makes gingerbread cookies and nut twists every year, while sharing love for Christmas with her mom.

For senior Ashley Meszar, this tradition brings the spirit of the Christmas season. “Making cookies is one of my favorite parts of the Christmas season. I love the variety that making cookies brings, whether it’s sugar, gingerbread, lady locks, or anything else, there’s a favorite for everyone.” Meszar also appreciates this time because she loves to share laughs with her friends. Her baking process usually includes some holiday classic movies playing in the background as well. Mezsar does not take a moment for granted and basks in the spirit of the season with her closest friends.

The tradition of making Christmas cookies can provide a multitude of fun and excitement to share with loved ones. It is important to appreciate these moments which turn into the memories we cherish in the years to come.