The Royal

The Student News Site of Hempfield Area High School

The Royal

The Royal

The Final Moments
The Final Moments
May 15, 2024
The Last Ride
The Last Ride
May 8, 2024

Long Live Taylor Swift

Abby Harvey
Taylor Swift Night 1 in Pittsburgh

Her name is Taylor, and she was born in 1989! Taylor Swift has been in the music industry since 2006 and is still taking the world by storm. Most impressively, she has managed to stay on top of the music industry and able to make her music relate to people young and older. 

After her reputation tour in 2018, Swift left the spotlight until her release of her album lover in 2019 which was not followed up with a tour. Over quarantine, she released Folklore (2020) followed by its sister album Evermore (2020). In between those and the release of her album Midnights, Taylor has taken back her name and re-released her stolen albums Fearless and Red. These two albums were the first releases she has done after she lost rights to her music made before Folklore. Her re-releases are known as Taylor’s Version. 

She then headed out on The Eras Tour! As of now, more speculation has arisen as to what she will do next. Will she release a reputation or debut? Or will it be a totally new album? We don’t know for sure, but what we do know is that a group of individuals obsessed with Taylor has emerged: the Swifties. 

The Eras Tour is about a three hour long concert featuring songs on her setlist from Fearless all the way through Midnights. From even the early release of tickets, Swifties fought tooth and nail to get even just one of these tickets. Despite Taylor having more than 150 shows ranging from one end of the globe to the next, many of her fans were left ticketless. As exciting or as sad as this was, one thing left all Swifties anxious, surprise songs. This portion of the concert featured two acoustic songs that are not included in the set list. 

Swifties across social media made checklists of what songs were lost in the “great war” leaving fellow fans either devastated or ecstatic. For The Eras Tour, people showed up dressed to the nines decked out in glitter, rhinestones, and everything in between. Friends were made at the shows as well with fans showing up with friendship bracelets from their wrists to elbows to trade! 

Since Taylor knew all too well that her fans who didn’t get to watch her perform live would feel left out, she had documented her shows in Sofi Stadium. Adult tickets were priced at $19.89, representing her album 1989. Child, along with senior tickets, were priced at $13.13, showcasing her favorite number. Videos on social media show just how much of a concert-like experience the movie truly is. Swifties are seen singing and dancing along to the show from their seats or at the front of the theater as one just as they would at the live Eras Tour shows. They also made the friendship bracelets, taking them along to trade with fellow fans at the theater. 

As a self identified Swiftie, who went to her Pittsburgh show, I would say that although nothing will compare to seeing her live, this movie comes very close to recreating the atmosphere. It will be available to rent or buy on her birthday December 13, 2023.

Most recently, Swift has been seen with Kansas City’s tight-end, Travis Kelce, and the couple has quickly won over media and fans. One could call Travis Kelce as mastermind as he went to an Eras Tour concert with a friendship bracelet and a dream. He recalls during his podcast “New Heights with Jason and Travis Kelce,” “I was disappointed that she doesn’t talk before or after her shows because she has to save her voice for the 44 songs that she sings.” What was so important about the bracelet? Well, the handmade friendship bracelet had Kelce’s number on it! Later on Swift was seen at the Chief vs Bears game in the Kelce family suite with none other than Donna Kelce, his mom. 

The NFL and various media sources along with fans quickly caught wind of this and Swift, her interactions with fans at the game, and Kelce’s supposed reactions to her attending were instantly spread across social media. That same night the pair were spotted driving out of the city and away from the crowd together. From that night forward they were spotted together leaving the set of Saturday Night Live, Swift has appeared at more Chiefs games, and Kelce has been to more of her shows. Now they have become more public with their relationship. During her performance of the song Karma at Estadio Mâs Monumental, Buenos Aires she changed the lyrics from “karma is the guy on the screen coming straight home to me” to “karma is the guy on the Chiefs coming straight home to me” and Swifties along with the new found fans the relationship has brought went insane making sweatshirts, t-shirts, cups, etc with the change. 

From her Christmas tree farm childhood home in Reading, Pennsylvania to being named the Top Global Artist on Spotify, Swift was truly born to be a national treasure. Long Live Taylor Swift!